Easy Twitter Tips to improve your Twitter account in 2020
I have been on Twitter 11 years now (as of April 21st 2019) and over the past 8 years I have come to love the platform. For me, Twitter is a source of news, opinion and interesting articles as well as the odd competition which I have won. If you are looking to grow your Twitter audience and influence you are going to have to invest some time on Twitter. These are some Twitter Tips to help in growing your following and presence.
1. Have a good Twitter Profile image
The first of the Twitter tips is to update your profile pic. The Profile Image is the small icon which appears beside each tweet. Your profile picture should be representative of you or your business. Try to make the image one which will stand out.
The key here is don’t leave it as the default Twitter Egg! The profile photo of an egg is indicative of an account which is new. So change this and you’ll get an advantage over accounts with Twitter eggs.
2. Ensure you include a Twitter Header image
At the same time, you should upload a good header image. The header image could be a product photo or something which works along with your profile image to strength your accounts visual appeal. You can use systems like Canva to place a nice quote or even your web address. Canva is a very easy to use system which gives you great results. It certainly saves me lots of time when I need to create a graphic in a hurry and gives results which are as good as using a graphics programme.
3. Your Twitter Bio
Your Twitter Bio should detail what your account is about. Tell people the benefits of following you. It should also outline the types of interest and content people will expect if they follow you. For example, you could tell people what interests you or what you tweet about. If you look at my Queen account @shanesqueensite it has the following biog…
Shane’s Queen Site run by Irish Queen keyboardist Shane McDonald. Tweeting about Queen, their music, videos, #Queen Tribute Bands, Queen Chords & more.
Feel free to use hashtags like I did or even other accounts. e.g. “I am an account manager for @mentioncompanyhere and I like #Travel”. or “I love Twitter. Follow my account for freebies and great Twitter Tips and advice.”
If you have a website don’t forget to include that. This is one of the key Twitter Tips – so if you do one thing, it’s update your Bio.
4. Daily Twitter Activity – Key Twitter Tip !
Each day, as as much as you can, you should log on to Twitter and do some sort of activity. This is my personal must do from this Twitter Tips list.
This activity may include;
– Tweeting something even if it is just a comment on the weather. This keeps your feed flowing with recent content.
– Retweeting others tweets. If you find something interesting retweet it.
– Responding to any replies or notifications
– Thanking some of your recent followers.
– If you find the content you like the press the ‘Like’ button
– You should follow any Twitter accounts which you are interested in. Normally I follow about 5-10 accounts per day. If I find a Twitter list of Food Bloggers or Travel Writers I may end up following 50 or 60 accounts.
Using Twitter Lists you could place all accounts which are foodies in one list or all accounts which give great Twitter tips in another list. This saves you time in reading related content. By monitoring their content I can then see if I want to keep following. Every so often I clear down the accounts I am following based on their content. One good app for doing a follower check is Crowdfire.
One warning on things like ‘The weather today is …” if you over use that sort of tweet, just for the sake of having content, then you run the risk of people becoming bored and perhaps unfollowing or muting you.
5. Tag or include others in your tweets
Every now and again you should mention other accounts using the @account method.
For example “Hi @mrshanemcdonald many thanks for liking my tweet. I am delighted with the Twitter Tips post on your website” would send me a nice mention and I may then follow you as a result. This can be especially good when responding to Brands, e.g. complementing a brand on a good job or a great product you recently used. They may retweet your tweet to thousands thus exploding your reach.
How do I know if I am doing well on
If you follow some of the Twitter Tips above, you should see some growth over the next while. There are a few pointers and KPIs to show your success in growing your Twitter account.
- The first is your follower’s growth if it is increasing fast this is one indicator that you are doing well.
- Secondly is your mention notifications, if you are getting a lot of @mentions, either responses or direct mentions, this shows a well-engaged audience.
- Check your Twitter Analytics to see your performance month on month
- You can also look at how much traffic is being driven to your website via Google Analytics. Strong Twitter performance would lead to good traffic to your website.
- If you are enjoying Twitter and you are Tweeting daily – In a way, this is a success of its own as many people start on Twitter and just give up!
Klout is Dead, Long live the King
In 2018, Klout had
You may also be interested to know how long people spend online and on social media – check out this report regarding the Average Time on Social Media.
I hope you enjoyed these Twitter Tips for 2020 and this is what works for me. Twitter changes all the time which is why I updated this list of Twitter Tips for 2020 as it was last updated in 2018.
If you have any other interesting Twitter Tips or hacks please feel free to leave a comment.
Follow Me on Twitter
My Twitter account is @mrshanemcdonald so if you like this list of Twitter Tips post why not follow and say hi!
A full list of Social Media Tools
If you are looking for a great list of Social Media Tools please visit this great link – https://bulk.ly/social-media-tools/