by Shane McDonald | Jun 29, 2010 | iPhone
There are so many people on Google at the moment looking for “iPhone 4G Recall” – Did you search for iPhone 4G Recall or Apple Recalling iPhone 4G before getting to this site?
If you did, please don’t be worried as Apple are not doing an iPhone 4G Recall. The whole recall alarm was sparked by a fake Twitter account with username “CEOSteveJobs”. The tweet read “We may have to recall the new iPhone. This, I did not expect.”. So many people thought this Twitter account was real and was owned by Steve Jobs – I did too (I recently stopped following CEOSteveJobs when I found out this was a parody account)
The iPhone 4G was released on June 24 and will stay released – no recall pending. There are small theething problems as with all pieces of technolofy, mainly Reception issues and activation issues but iPhone 4G is due for a minor software update before the year is out according to some sources which might help with the initial issues.
The real Steve Jobs responded to the fake Twitter post and also to the iPhone 4G complaints and advised users to avoid holding the iPhone in a way that blocks the antenna. “Avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases,”.
by Shane McDonald | Jun 19, 2010 | iPhone
The new iOS 4 update brings new powers to the iPhone!
The new iPhone will have over 100 new features, the free iOS 4 Software Update will allow iPhone 3Gs users to experience the majority of these. The new iPhone OS, iOs 4, will be released on Monday 21st June 2010 – iTunes 9.2 has been updated so download this first and upgrade your systems in preparation for the new iOS 4 release.
The new features of iOS4 will include the following;
- You can use Multitasking and switch between your iPhone apps instantly, without apparently slowing down the performance of the foreground app or draining the battery unnecessarily.
- There are Folders so that you can organize your iPhones apps into relevant folders using a drag-and-drop technique. You can also manage up to 2160 apps (the current limit is about 180 apps) and get faster access through your folders.
- Text Messaging update – There will be a Character Count option in Messages Settings, so you can keep a track on the number of characters while typing an SMS Text message.
- The Email client has been improved and you can see messages from all your accounts in a unified inbox, organize your email messages by threads, and you can open attachments in third-party apps.
- There is an ebook reader functionality called iBooks. This is not just an ebook reader, rather iBooks allows you to browse and shop for books as well as reading them (or PDFs) within the system.
- The new iPhone will have 5x digital zoom with the Tap to focus function
- While shooting video, tap the display to choose where to focus. You will also be able to tag photos and GeoTag where they were taken.
- The Home screen wallpaper can be changed so that you can have your custom background wallpaper on your Home screen.
- For techies, the iPhone iOS 4.0 includes more than 1,500 new APIs for app developers.
There are many other new features, such as improvements when reading documents, improvements in the contacts section, a photo resize option, playlist creation, and you will find even more when you install your own iOS 4 update (or if you are luck enough to get the new iPhone 4).
The new iOS 4 will work with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 3G (some functionality for later third generation iTouch models also). Not all features of the features above are compatible with all the devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS and Multitasking then is only available with Apps that have been specifically developed to work with iOS 4 multitasking mode. Also note that the Face Recognition system only works with iPhoto on the Mac (sorry PC users).
The new iPhone4 / iPhone 4G should be on sale in Ireland & UK fairly soon, hopefully in the next month. Carriers such as Vodafone, O2, 3 Mobile and Orange will be making sure customers know well in advance of pending sales of the new iPhone.
This looks like this update will boost the iPhone in the market – great improvements to an already great piece of technology.
by Shane McDonald | Jun 17, 2010 | iPhone
The New iPhone iOS 4 is out on Monday 21st June and if you want to be able to take advantage of the new software update you will be best placed if you download the new iTunes software – iTunes 9.2 which has just been released.
iTunes 9.2 is the first piece of the software mix but only has some changes to the actual software but the main change is iPhone iOS 4 compatibility. There are going to be major software updates for the iTunes version 10 which might be available between September – November of this year!
iTunes 9.2 Changelog
The change log for Apple iTunes 9.2 is as follows;
• iPhone iOS 4 Compatibility : Sync with iPhone 4 to enjoy your favorite music, movies, TV shows, books and more on-the-go
• iBooks Compatibility : Sync & read books with your iPhone or iPod touch with iOS 4 and iBooks 1.1
• PDF Update : Sync PDF documents and read PDFs as books with iBooks 1.1 on the iPad and any iPhone or iPod touch with iOS 4
• iOS 4 Folders : Organize your apps on your iOS 4 home screens into folders using iTunes
• Speed Update : Faster synching and back-ups for iPhones or iPod touchs running iOS 4
• Album Art Update : Album artwork improvements make artwork appear more quickly when exploring your library
The new version of iTunes from Apple is now available for download from the Apple website.
2021 Update – iTunes is no Longer Available
In 202o Apple released a new version of their operating system in the macOS Catalina release. However if you are looking for an alternative to the very popular iTunes software then you might be interested in the super detailed guide on iTunes alternatives from SoftwareHow, which you can find below:
iTunes alternatives from SoftwareHow.com
by Shane McDonald | Jun 7, 2010 | iPhone
The much-hyped release of the new iPhone 4G should be with us in Ireland by mid June – and although rumours of early July still persist … we will have to wait and see what happens!
iPhone 4G NEWS UPDATE – Apparently the date is now July for Ireland and the UK with the prices being roughly the same as current 16 – 32Gb versions.
The new 4G iPhone will sell in the US first and the date of June 7th was being mentioned as the possible release date. I don’t think that will happen though.
On the back of the iPad release, the new iPhone 4G should have a huge amount of interest in Ireland & UK. Keep an eye on Vodafone, O2, 3 Mobile and Orange who will be pushing to be the first in Ireland & Uk to sell the new iPhone 4G.
The feature list on the new iPhone is becoming clearer, apparently coming with ;
- a 5 MegaPixel camera
- possibly including multitasking of iPhone apps
- sleeker body design
- sturdier construction
- clearer picture with a high definition capability
- a 3.5 inch TFT touch-sensitive screen
- available in 64GB & 80GB storage
- built in half gig of RAM.
For those with the 3Gs iPhone there should be an OS upgrade also, which should give you some of the features of the new iPhone.
Note : the new 4G iPhone is actually a reference to 4th Generation and does not reflect a transition from a 3G network to a 4G network.
by Shane McDonald | Apr 20, 2010 | In The News, iPhone
The next generation iPhone 4G Prototype has apparently been “found” on the floor, in the bathroom of a bar in California, USA.
Gizmodo.com have announced that the phone in indeed believed to be iPhone 4G Prototype, the fourth generation iPhone. Watch the video below which is from the Gizmodo website outlining the iPhone 4G Prototype find which has blown the lid on the new new iPhone …
Although disguised as the iPhone 3GS by peeling off the fake casing it revealed the new-look iPhone 4G model. The new phone apparently has a host of different features, according to the Gizmodo.com website, including a front-facing camera for video chatting, has a physically larger battery, uses a Micro-sim, a larger lens on the rear camera (which should improve picture quality) and a camera flash. One notable difference is that the back is perfectly flat as opposed to the curved back on the current iPhone.
Gizmodo.com say there was almost no possibility the phone is a fake. Apple have also rumoured to have said that the phone was not lost but stolen – they want the prototype back. This sort of thing happens quite a lot, from government laptops being left on trains to notes and designs being left in public areas. People who have these new designs and secret documents seem to be quite careless when it comes to keping those items safe and confidential.
The new iPhone 4G is Due for release in June. Vodafone and O2 in Ireland both have the iPhone 3GS on sale , starting at €199 for bill pay. Might the price of the 3GS drop after the release of the new iPhone 4G? Is it worth buying an iPhone 3G or 3GS now? Would you wait and see? is the iPhone found in the USA a fake? … We just have to wait and see !
Feel free to comment below
Thanks for visiting ShaneMcDonald.ie !