Is Bohemian Rhapsody 2 going to happen?
Recently Sir Dr. Brian May commented regarding a follow-up to the Bohemian Rhapsody Movie. What most people are calling “Bohemian Rhapsody 2” is apparently in the works and Brian May is after commenting on this.
Brian has already said that he found the idea of working on a sequel to Bohemian Rhapsody “exciting” and “very attractive” and the chances are that the Bohemian Rhapsody 2 movie would probably be called The Show Must Go On.
Brian May has said that they are talking about it and that he would love to make a sequel but that they are looking mainly at the script and that the right script would allow them to do Bohemian Rhapsody 2. Considering it took 12 years to find the script for the original movie it may not be as easy to do as one may think.
There is a lot to cover. After Live Aid in 1985, Freddie and Queen still had over six years together and this saw the release of 3 more albums in this time with 1 more studio album (Made in Heaven) being released after Freddie’s death in 1991
Brian has said that even if they came up with a script whether it would be a film he wasn’t sure. He did go on to say that the only way Bohemian Rhapsody 2 would happen is if it works and also moves people the same way the original movie did. At the moment they haven’t found a way of doing that right now.
Brian has confirmed that he would love to reunite the original cast for Bohemian Rhapsody 2; Brian had high praise for all the actors especially Gwilym Lee who played Brian in the movie as he was able to capture Brian’s voice so well that people thought Brian had dubbed the voice in the movie.
So what would a Bohemian Rhapsody Movie Sequel look like?
The Bohemian Rhapsody Sequel would continue from where the first movie left off, that being the amazing success of Live Aid. There are 6 years to cover during Freddie’s life and a possible 4 further years afterwards which could have some role in the script.
The following are 12 key Queen milestones that occurred after Live Aid;
- The recording and release of the ‘Kind of Magic’ Album.
- Freddie recording the Barcelona album with Monseratt Carballe
- Some of Freddie’s other solo releases such as The Great Pretender
- Freddie’s AIDs diagnosis and how the band took the news
- The recording and release of ‘The Miracle’ album in 1989.
- Brian May’s Dads death and his marriage break-up.
- The recording and release of the last Queen album during Freddie’s lifetime ‘Innuendo’
- Freddie Mercury’s death in November 1991
- The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert in April 1992
- The completion of ‘Made in Heaven’ using Freddie’s vocals from 1991.
- The Release of tracks like ‘Living on my Own’ in 1993 – a Number 1 for Freddie
- The legacy of Queen … Queen and Paul Rogers / Adam Lambert …. new generations of fans
There are many other options for Bohemian Rhapsody 2 … but will it ever happen?
In a recent poll, more Queen fans were opposed to a sequel than wanted one – the results being that 67% of fans polled wanted no sequel.
What are your thoughts? Leave a comment below !