I just learned of something which might be hampering your attempts to get good levels of traffic to your site if you are using WordPress.
One of the best things about WordPress is that you can add a category or two to your post. It turns out that listing your blog post under more than one category might be considered as duplicate content in Googles eyes and your site may be penalised.
I will be posting under only 1 category for a while to see if this helps with the site traffic / SEO on the site.
Any comments – please add them below to discuss the search tricks you use for WordPress SEO
The traffic to the site is now 1,000 visitors up PER DAY, over the same daily periods in the first 6 months of the year. In the months Jan to June I was getting about 1,800 visitors per day to the site and I put this down to my lapse in frequent blogging and a reduction in updates to the site. This follows on from the Panda and other updates from Google in recent months and I was sure I was affected.
In July I decided to start blogging more and updating the site more frequently. I uploaded a few blog posts in July. This seemed to work very quickly and early August traffic seemed to indicate very high spike in traffic and no apparent reason. Could this be down to the updates and more frequent blog posts?
I will wait and see – but for now I will not be resting on laurels and will be updating the blog on an ongoing basis to ensure this new gain of traffic is not lost !
I had being blogging quite a lot between July 2011 and January 2012 but due to may things, I had very infrequent updates to the blog and to the website in general since January. The one thing I noticed was a drop in traffic and this is something which Google and Search Engines love to see – Regular Updates with Original Quality Content.
Below is a graph of traffic to the website since the regular updates to the site were reduced to once a month or once every three weeks. I’m now doing a test to see how a concerted effort on content might grow this traffic once more.
I’m going to have a blog post on the site once every three days if possible and can then assess the results in traffic numbers. I’m looking at getting the traffic back up over the 50K unique visitors per month.
Lets wait and see…
Looking back at the year that was on my website, 2011 was the year Google Panda visited my site, Twitter and Facebook had an impact on search and website traffic, and an overall increase of 21% on traffic from 2010.
2011 looks like hitting 690,000 unique visitors and 1.8 Million Page Views.
20 The Most Popular Pages on the site
1. Piano Chord Shapes : 198,647 pageviews
2. 420 Chords – ChordMap : 152,515 pageviews
3. Guitar Chords : 51,751 pageviews
4. Learn To Read Music : 50,402 pageviews
5. Easy Music Transposer : 42,333 pageviews
6. Queen Album List / Discography : 34,164 pageviews
7. Chordmap Italiano : 33,584 pageviews
8. Learn Types of Music Notes : 32,594 pageviews
9. How to Transpose : 32,199 pageviews
10. Shanes Queen Site Homepage : 31,194 pageviews
11. Guitar Chord Bm : 27,729 pageviews
12. Guitar Chord List : 27,131 pageviews
13. Piano Chord C Major : 24,666 pageviews
14. Bohemian Rhapsody Chords : 24,075 pageviews
15. How to Fix and iPhone / iPod Touch, with a Frozen Safari App : 23,121 pageviews
16. Homepage : 20,130 pageviews
17. Guitar Chord of Bb Maj 19,159 pageviews
18. Piano Chord of C : 16,702 pageviews
19. Piano Chord Variations in C : 14,552 pageviews
20. Piano Chords in Spanish : 13,443 pageviews
Top 10 Pages on the Blog
1. How to Fix and iPhone / iPod Touch, with a Frozen Safari App : 23,121 views
2. Flight Radar Vs Plane Finder iPhone Apps : 8,615 views
3. Blog Homepage : 1,683 views
4. Fix an iPhone or iPod Touch which Won’t Start : 1,570 views
5. iPhone 4 expected in Ireland in Early June : 762 views
6. Irish Language – What a Waste of Time : 642 views
7. Top 5 Things to Do in Singapore : 592 views
8. UFO Spotted over Copacabana Beach : 572 views
9. Goalkeeper Saves Penalty and Celebrates as Ball Rolls in to Goal : 548 views
10. NDrive – iPhone Sat Nav App : 360 views
Google Panda Update Visited the Site
Google Panda is a change to the Google’s search results ranking algorithm.This change reportedly affected the rankings of almost 12 percent of all search results, my site was affected in October with traffic dropping by about 60%. Below is the output from Google Analytics which shows the dramatic drop in traffic during that time – thankfully traffic was come back up towards normal levels.
Everyone who has a site wants loads of FREE Hits to their site. One of the biggest draws to any site I ever built was one with April Fools Day Pranks and Tricks. The site at shanemcdonald.com, which originally was an Alumni site and later became a jokes and fun site, had a page called April Fools Day Pranks. This was uploaded in 2006 and got reasonable traffic in that year. It was only in 2007 that I saw the traffic grow and it peaked in 2008.
In 2007 I got over 45,000 unique visits in 3 days and the hosting company (Host***** … I’m not going to name and shame them) shut the site down and would not let me retrieve the files. They shut it down just because it got too much traffic – needless to say I moved away from them asap as they were rude and did not accept any explanation.
In 2008, April Fools Day , the site traffic peaked and I got 101,000 unique views in 3 days. Luckily the site stayed up. 2009-2010 the site had a security breach but it is back up this year and will be interesting to see what traffic it gets this year.
The link is here – April Fools Day Pranks – The site is not the great site it once was but it is still there as an old timer getting a few hundred page views a day.
These April Fools Day pranks are just fun and I don’t advocate the pranking of people who might not have a sense of humor or who might take it too seriously…. April Fools Day has occurred for many decades, have fun but be sensible! The pranks contained on the link above are just humourous to read and I do believe number there are certain ones like #14 which are harmless.