Just got iOS4 installed after the hype, the waiting and the download anticipation … and its not bad at all !
I like the look and feel of the new OS – and the unified Inbox is great for putting my 12 email accounts into one list.
The New Look iOS4 on the iPhone 3Gs
The main difference I could see was the changeable background on the home screen, multitasking bar at the bottom of the screen – which you can access by double clicking the home button, and Folders which you can create by holding down an icon and once wobbling , dragging one icon on top of another.
I’m still playing around with all the features so I’m going to stop typing now … if you still haven’t updated to the new iOS4 on your iPhone3Gs or 3G then have a look at my previous posts and twitter posts for details on what is involved in upgrading your OS.
The new iOS 4 update brings new powers to the iPhone!
The new iPhone will have over 100 new features, the free iOS 4 Software Update will allow iPhone 3Gs users to experience the majority of these. The new iPhone OS, iOs 4, will be released on Monday 21st June 2010 – iTunes 9.2 has been updated so download this first and upgrade your systems in preparation for the new iOS 4 release.
The new features of iOS4 will include the following;
- You can use Multitasking and switch between your iPhone apps instantly, without apparently slowing down the performance of the foreground app or draining the battery unnecessarily.
- There are Folders so that you can organize your iPhones apps into relevant folders using a drag-and-drop technique. You can also manage up to 2160 apps (the current limit is about 180 apps) and get faster access through your folders.
- Text Messaging update – There will be a Character Count option in Messages Settings, so you can keep a track on the number of characters while typing an SMS Text message.
- The Email client has been improved and you can see messages from all your accounts in a unified inbox, organize your email messages by threads, and you can open attachments in third-party apps.
- There is an ebook reader functionality called iBooks. This is not just an ebook reader, rather iBooks allows you to browse and shop for books as well as reading them (or PDFs) within the system.
- The new iPhone will have 5x digital zoom with the Tap to focus function
- While shooting video, tap the display to choose where to focus. You will also be able to tag photos and GeoTag where they were taken.
- The Home screen wallpaper can be changed so that you can have your custom background wallpaper on your Home screen.
- For techies, the iPhone iOS 4.0 includes more than 1,500 new APIs for app developers.
There are many other new features, such as improvements when reading documents, improvements in the contacts section, a photo resize option, playlist creation, and you will find even more when you install your own iOS 4 update (or if you are luck enough to get the new iPhone 4).
The new iOS 4 will work with iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPhone 3G (some functionality for later third generation iTouch models also). Not all features of the features above are compatible with all the devices. For example, multitasking is available only with iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS and Multitasking then is only available with Apps that have been specifically developed to work with iOS 4 multitasking mode. Also note that the Face Recognition system only works with iPhoto on the Mac (sorry PC users).
The new iPhone4 / iPhone 4G should be on sale in Ireland & UK fairly soon, hopefully in the next month. Carriers such as Vodafone, O2, 3 Mobile and Orange will be making sure customers know well in advance of pending sales of the new iPhone.
This looks like this update will boost the iPhone in the market – great improvements to an already great piece of technology.
The New iPhone iOS 4 is out on Monday 21st June and if you want to be able to take advantage of the new software update you will be best placed if you download the new iTunes software – iTunes 9.2 which has just been released.
iTunes 9.2 is the first piece of the software mix but only has some changes to the actual software but the main change is iPhone iOS 4 compatibility. There are going to be major software updates for the iTunes version 10 which might be available between September – November of this year!
The change log for Apple iTunes 9.2 is as follows;
• iPhone iOS 4 Compatibility : Sync with iPhone 4 to enjoy your favorite music, movies, TV shows, books and more on-the-go
• iBooks Compatibility : Sync & read books with your iPhone or iPod touch with iOS 4 and iBooks 1.1
• PDF Update : Sync PDF documents and read PDFs as books with iBooks 1.1 on the iPad and any iPhone or iPod touch with iOS 4
• iOS 4 Folders : Organize your apps on your iOS 4 home screens into folders using iTunes
• Speed Update : Faster synching and back-ups for iPhones or iPod touchs running iOS 4
• Album Art Update : Album artwork improvements make artwork appear more quickly when exploring your library
The new version of iTunes from Apple is now available for download from the Apple website.